Scanlon, Minnesota
June 1909 - June 1910


The Brooks-Scanlon Sawmill 1908 

In 1896 The Brooks and Scanlon family start sawmill operations in Minnesota and in 1901 established a large sawmill in Scanlon, close to Cloquet, Minnesota.  Dr. Henderson and family arrived around 1908 and the doctor took up his practise at the mill.  Scanlon must have been quite a transition for Marjorie after the life she had been accustomed to but as usual, after her return from the South, she managed to fit right in.   

Thursday, June 17, 1909

I sure was happy when dad met me in St. Paul.  I didn’t expect him and thought I would go right on up to Harriet’s.  We went to Carlings for breakfast and then I went up to Harriet’s.  Sure was glad to see the sweet old girl.  We went down to Margaret McLaughlin’s for awhile then met dad at Field’s for luncheon.  Paul Magnusson took luncheon with us too.  Papa and I came home on the afternoon train.  Mother met us at Carlton and Tobe here.  I sure was glad to get here and it seemed ages since I had left.  I had had one grand time tho' from start to finish.  The bunch all came over in the evening.  I was glad to meet the new ones, but it seemed funny without Bob . . .


Click to book to see all the Scanlon entries

Monday, June 28, 1909 - Marjorie Henderson's 21st birthday

Hub was here and spent the morning. Dad, Mother and I went to Duluth. Came home at 6:18. Met Sam, Ib, and Peg! Had birthday party in the evening. Harry, Sam, Bobbie, Tracy, Mary, Dick, Lee, Tina McMillan and Callie Irwin.

M.S.H. and Peg

M.S.H. and Peg

Papa and Peg

In mid 1909 the Brooks-Scanlon Company announced that they had run out of trees and the mill would be closing for good the following year.  The company had timber rights around Powell River in British Columbia, Canada and they would be building a town and establishing a pulp mill there. Many of the present mill workers would relocate to the new mill.  Dr. Henderson was asked to be the doctor at the new town of Powell River and he accepted. 

Wednesday, August 11, 1909

Sewed all morning. In the afternoon went down to the mill. The whole town turned out to see the last log cut.  Mill closed down at 4:30.

Friday, September 24, 1909

Dr. Courtney examined me and found I had appendicitis.  That afternoon Dr. Rexford, Hildegarde and I walked away up the river.  In the evening went over to the nurse's home and played for them. Dr. Rexford and I went for a walk later.

Saturday, September 25, 1909

Dear little Miss Marsh took me down to the operating room.  Miss English was there which helped a lot.  They operated at 9 o’clock.  Dr. Rexford gave the anesthetic and Dr. Ide assisted Dr. Courtney.

Sunday, September 26, 1909

Didn’t sleep a wink and would have died if Miss Fraser and Miss Kling hadn’t been with me.  Tobe came and I sure was glad to see him but hated to have him leave.  Dr. Rexford was so nice to me.

Monday, September 27, 1909

Everyone was mighty nice about coming in to see me, all the nurses who I had met at the house and the doctors.  Miss McKugh was so nice and I love Miss Marsh.

Tuesday, September 28, 1909

Mother came up and Mike and Dr. Brown moved me into mother’s room.  Father came home from Rochester and nearly dropped dead when he saw me.

Dick, Mary and Tracy on logging road Dec. 12, 1909

Harry, Margaret and Bobbie Scanlon

Peg in front of the Rocky Knoll Club

Harry Margaret and Bobbie Scanlon

M.S.H. and Peg on front door steps

Richard Gordon "Tobe" Henderson and Peggie

Thursday, March 10, 1910

Father left for British Columbia and we surely did hate to have him go.  Mother went down to St. Paul.  Sam came back and spent the afternoon with us and he and Tracy were here this evening.


In March Dr. Henderson headed to Powell River to get his bearings in the new town.  As an incentive to get him to accept the position the Brooks-Scanlon Company offered that Dr. Henderson's house would be the only privately owned house and property in the townsite.  In return, before accepting, Dr. Henderson stipulated that: the company build a proper house with hot and cold water for his wife, Edith, that they build a hospital as soon as possible and that one dollar a month from every wage packet would go towards medical care for the mill workers. Thus he initiated the first health care plan in British Columbia.

Friday, April 22, 1910

Finished up at the dentist and went up to Mrs. Nowell’s for luncheon.  Went to the Grand Opera (St. Paul) this afternoon and evening saw “Hansel and Gretel” and Caruso in “Pagliacci” this afternoon and Gadski in “Aida” this evening. Grand!

Saturday, April 23, 1910

Spent the morning with Mrs. Nowell and Miss A. then went to the Grand Opera.  Saw Geraldine Farrar and Scotti in “Madame Butterfly.”  Splendid! Charles was here this evening. 

Wednesday, June 1, 1910

Twenty-five of the ladies in Cloquet gave a luncheon for us at the Northern.  Had a real nice time.  Mary and Dick were here for dinner and Tracy, mother, Tobe and I took the 10:20 and went to the finish of Mrs. Dixon’s party.  Drove home.

Thursday, June 2, 1910

We left Scanlon!  I surely did hate it.  The boys and Mary gave us our final sendoff and the Carlton folks were there to see us.  Mr. McNair and Wilhelmine came down on the train with us.  Mrs. Nowell met us.  I went to bed early amighty home sick.


In June of 1910 Marjorie and her mother Edith left Scanlon but not to join Dr. Henderson as one would expect, but to set out on a three month Grand Tour of Europe. 


© Ken McMillan 2018
Contact: Ken